November 23, 2010

What's Now: Giving Thanks

With Thanksgiving this week (where does the time go?!) I pause to reflect on all I have to be thankful for. Coming off a flurry of hospitality events last week, including the BDNY tradeshow and our own Open House, put the idea of what it means to be hospitable top of mind – at home and at work. Whether hosting friends and family for holiday dinners, or entertaining designers in the showroom (have you been to a working lunch or one of our product launches?) the same rules of hospitality apply. Personally and professionally, I am thankful to have learned that when you are inviting, warm, gracious and everything looks fabulous, guests feel special and want to return again and again.

Photo courtesy of Richard Cadan
And speaking of learning, I was also thankful for the opportunity to again be part of the IIDA Hospitality Forum committee. My mom, errr.. boss, Nancy Jackson, forum moderator and co-chair of the event, may have enlisted me, but willingly! A star-studded panel of industry gurus (click photo on left to enlarge) shared their points of view on the phenomenon of fashion designer hotels, capturing the spirit of fashion and hospitality. It was interesting to hear whether they feel this trend has staying power – but I do aspire to checking in to the Missoni hotel one day, where I'd blend right in with the seasonal signature scarf I purchased on Gilt Groupe! Watch the Hospitality Forum's captivating introduction video by DMD Insight here.

Most importantly, I am always thankful for my family, however enmeshed I feel they are in my life – if you work in a family business, you know what I mean! And we are happy to welcome our newest member, my niece Lily Blake :)

Wherever your travels may take you, have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy all the hospitality that comes your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment